Afternoon tea scones recipe from Sopwell House
Recipe by Bogdan Stanica, head pastry chef at Sopwell House, St Albans
(Makes 10 scones with a 5cm diameter cutter)
250g plain flour
15g baking powder
50g cold butter (from the fridge)
Two whole eggs
45g low fat yoghurt (or mix half plain yoghurt and buttermilk)
Pinch of salt
1. Sieve the flour and baking powder and set aside.
2. Cut the butter into small cubes, set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter and mix to a crumble.
4. Add the eggs and yoghurt and mix well until a smooth dough forms. Transfer on to a hard surface, cover with a damp cloth, and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Roll the dough with a rolling pin, dusting flour while rolling to avoid it sticking to the surface. The thickness of the dough should be around 6cm.
6. Cut the dough with a 5cm round cutter and place the cut-outs on a baking tray.
7. Coat with egg yolk and bake at 150°C for 17 minutes.
8. Leave to cool before serving warm with clotted cream and strawberry jam.